Areas of Expertise:
Social Movements, with a Focus on the Labor, Trade Union & Youth Movements in the Egyptian Context, State-Society Relations & Socio-Political Transformation in Egypt, European Neighborhood Policies
I am a lecturer at the Sociology Unit, Department of Sociology, Anthropology and Egyptology at the American University in Cairo (AUC). In my research I focus on social movements and democratization, the dynamics of contentions, success and failures of social actors in challenging state-society authoritarian relations. My experience in diverse research institutions not only granted me relevant scientific expertise but also forged my identity as an international scholar capable of communicating with researchers and students from various backgrounds, presenting research in prestigious international venues and contributing to different academic environments, whether working in a research team or independently.
Being a member of AGYA will not only offer me an opportunity for better integration in the Arab, German and international academic community, but will also provide me with the needed resources and environment for conducting high level scientific research and realizing innovative projects.
- Member of the AGYA Working Group Transformation
- Member of the multilateral research project 'Socioeconomic Protests and Political Transformation. Dynamics of Contentious Politics in Egypt and Tunisia against the Background of South American Experiences' funded by the Volkswagen Foundation, administered by The Peace Research Institute Frankfurt (PRIF) in Germany in partnership with the Arab Forum for Alternative Studies (AFA) to whom I am affiliated in Cairo and The Faculty of Law, Sfax University, Tunisia.
|2017 -||Lecturer, American University in Cairo; Egypt|
|2017||Lecturer, British University in Egypt; Cairo, Egypt|
|Summer 2017||Visiting Fellow, Peace Research Institute Frankfurt (PRIF); Germany|
|2008 -||Research Associate, Arab Forum For Alternative Studies (AFA); Cairo, Egypt|
|2015 - 2016||EUME PostDoc Fellow, Freie Universität Berlin; Germany|
|2014 - 2015||Non Resident Fellow, Stiftung Wissenschaft und Politik (SWP); Cairo, Egypt|
|2014||PhD in Political Sciences, Sciences-Po; Grenoble, France|
|2012 - 2013||Doctoral Fellow, Stiftung Wissenschaft und Politik (SWP); Berlin, Germany|
|2009 - 2010||Doctoral Fellow, Lausanne University, Switzerland|
|2007 - 2009||Research Assistant, Al Ahram Center for Political and Strategic Studies (ACPSS); Cairo, Egypt|
|2006||MA in International Relations, Sciences-Po; Paris, France|
- Abdalla, N. (2015). Youth Movements in the Egyptian Transformation: Strategies and Repertoires of Political Participation, Mediterranean Politics, 21 (1), 44-63.
- Abdalla, N. (2012). Egypt's Workers - From Protest Movement to Organized Labor: A Major Challenge of the Transition Period. Berlin: The German Institute for International and Security Affairs (Stiftung Wissenschaft und Politik), 1-7.
- Abdalla, N. (2015). The Labor and Politics in Egypt. Singapore: Middle East Institute (MEI), 1-7.
see a full list of publications>