AGYA offers its members the unique opportunity to develop and implement their ideas, visions, and projects within the framework of Arab-German research collaboration. AGYA members are excellent early-career researchers (3–10 years post-PhD completion) from various disciplines. Half of the members are based in Germany and half in Arab countries.
Limiting the number of members to around 50 ensures that close cooperation is possible. Membership is granted for a period of five years, after which members obtain lifelong access to AGYA’s alumni network of excellent researchers.
The next call for membership will open in January 2021.
Find more information on the last call of membership here.
- Realize your ideas and visions in the framework of Arab-German research cooperation and take an active part in the life of the academy.
- Implement innovative interdisciplinary research projects together with your fellow members with funding and support provided by AGYA.
- Commit yourself to joint initiatives on cutting-edge issues at the interface of science and society.
- Benefit from exclusive access to an international network of distinguished researchers and leading innovators.
- Enhance your academic career as well as your interdisciplinary and intercultural skills through tailor-made trainings.
- Increase your mobility through AGYA travel funds for participation in AGYA conferences and activities in mainly the Arab world and Germany.
- Successful candidates are expected to have a proven record of research excellence in their fieldof specialization.
- Candidates with strong potential for academic leadership will be given priority.
- Membership requires active engagement. As AGYA is a working academy, successful candidates are expected to dedicate a significant amount of time to AGYA activities and the funded projects they initiate in the framework of the academy.
- Commitment to realizing interdisciplinary research projects in collaboration with AGYA members and other partners is essential.
- Elected members will be required to attend the General Assembly meeting at the next annual conference of AGYA.
- Researchers from any field of life sciences, natural sciences, humanities, social sciences, technical sciences and the arts are eligible to apply.
- Applicants must be affiliated with a university or a research institution in Germany or any Arab country (Algeria, Bahrain, Comoros, Djibouti, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, the United Arab Emirates and Yemen).
- Applicants must be early-career researchers. At the time of application, the candidate’s doctoral degree should have been conferred no less than 3 and no more than 10 years ago.
- Applicants must have full command of English, the working language of AGYA. No knowledge of German or Arabic is necessary.
AGYA member Matthias Pasdzierny (Musicology, Germany) and AGYA alumnus Ahmad El-Guindy (Mathematics, Egypt) explain the idea of an academy and the advantages of AGYA as a bilateral academy in particular.
In this video, AGYA members and alumni talk about the benefits of being an Academy member.